Tuesday, July 3, 2012

When the cat's away


This past Friday night, I escaped to my parent’s house in Lynchburg for what was supposed to be a weekend of “me” time—no children, no responsibilities, and my Kindle downloaded with four new books.  Little did anyone know at the time that Friday evening would bring some of the worst thunderstorms in the history of that small city resulting in a complete black out, fallen trees, downed power lines and blocked roadways.

These pictures (courtesy of the News & Advance) can't even capture how much destruction there is; it looks like a war zone.
 

Needless to say, with a forecast of triple-digit temperatures for the next foreseeable days, I hightailed it back home Saturday midday as soon as I could (followed closely by my mother and her dogs) with a renewed appreciation for air conditioning and working stoplights.  I arrived home happy but exhausted and Will grabbed my bags from my hand and ordered me upstairs to our bedroom so I could take a nap.  I didn’t put up much of a fight.

Four hours later, I emerged from our room.  I kid you not.  I don’t think I’ve taken a four-hour nap since law school, but I felt like a new person (which did not include an allegedly responsible mother of two preschoolers.  A true mental vacation).

In my drowsy state, I came downstairs to find the kids and their clever father had made this video:



I love my husband for many, many reasons, but his quirky sense of humor is high on the list.  And when he told me that he Goodwill-ed many of those friends during this process, well, that’s enough to make this girl swoon.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment