Monday, November 11, 2013

Six!

On November 11, 2007 at 4:56am (an early bird like her mother), the most beautiful little girl emerged into this world.



I remember it like it was yesterday.  I remember she screamed her head off during that final push out.  But then I remember she quieted, looked around, sucked her hand, and slowly took it all in.  I had never seen anything so beautiful in my life and it scared me how much I loved her from that first moment.  How I realized all of that worry I had when she was inside me multiplied infinitesimal and I would never stop worrying.  Or loving.  And how lucky I was to have something so wonderful to love and worry over.



Five days later with my bottom still sore and my breasts beyond painful, my mother, Frances and I hobbled to her first doctor's appointment.  As the nurse lifted her up to the baby scale for her first official post-hospital weight, another mother with preschool-aged children by her side gasped as she saw Frances and simply said, "Wow!  She's just perfect!"  Hormonal, sleep deprived, and scared I had been doing it all wrong that first week I squeaked out a tearful, "thank you," and a promise to myself to be eternally grateful to the stranger who helped me realize that I am indeed raising a perfect little girl.



Happy Birthday, Frances!  I am honored to call you my daughter and I can't thank you enough for letting me a part of this incredible journey called motherhood.

And I would be remiss in not acknowledging that today is also Veterans Day, a special day in our family.  My grandfather was always very proud that his great-granddaughter (and his bride's namesake) was born on Veterans Day and I know they had a special bond because of this.



I also know that the light shining down on them in this photo in my grandmother.  She would have loved my darling daughter.

Happy Monday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment