Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Back to reality

Frances, George and I are slowly easing back in to our pre-3-day weekend, pre-3-trips-to-Lynchburg-in-a-row routine.  We are doing this “slowly” because I seem to have forgotten what exactly we did on a daily basis before we camped out at Nana and Pop’s house, hosted family, and enjoyed Daddy for 3 whole days in a row.

Katherine, Henry and James drove down for a short visit during the holiday weekend while David flew out to California to pick up Katherine’s oldest son, Ian, after his first year of college (how is it that I have both a niece and a nephew who are in college?).  Frances and George loved showing their cousins their hometown and Henry and James loved playing with all of their old toys again (50% or more of the toys in our house are hand-me-downs from Katherine; the other 50% are gifts from grandparents.  Our children (and their parents for that matter) have it made). 

Saturday morning breakfast of champions

On Saturday, we swam at our local pool, watched movies, played on the playground and held a highly competitive baseball game in our backyard.  By 5:00 pm, we all piled into our car and headed to dinner at Mexico Restaurant where the adults ordered margaritas and the kids had their fill of chips.

On Sunday, the Hamilton troop had to head home but not before a visit to Maymont park to see the animals (all of which made their appearance – thank you!).

The gray fox

The bald eagle

Daddy and Frances at the waterfall

George at the koi pond (his favorite)

This was the best picture I could get of the four cousins who seem to be looking at four different cameras
(James, Henry, Frances and George)

All in all, it was a terrific visit and so wonderful to see Katherine and crew again (sans some important folk, of course).

As I am typing this, I can feel myself slowly fading into an abnormally early bedtime.  I have a sneaking suspicion my sleepiness has to do with the fact that Will and I had our annual Memorial Day “date day” on Monday (yes, an entire day without Frances and George – or at least from 10am to 4:30pm, which felt like both an eternity and a half-hour.  Strange).  Rather than spend that time relaxing by the pool, reading a book, or lazily lunching, we kicked it into high gear and hiked the Belle Island trail and North Bank trail in downtown Richmond.  This is yet another (maybe 1,238th?) reason why I love my husband—he and I both prefer active outings.  On a cool day, our adventure would have been tough; but when you consider that the temperatures soared to around 97 degrees by 12 noon I am surprised we are both still here to report back.  It was a fantastic day and I can’t wait to do it again next year!

But for now, the four of us will be rediscovering our daily routines and heading slowly in to summer.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment