Sunday, May 1, 2011

"Wait until you see her"

Yes, I am a romantic.  Yes, I did watch the Royal Wedding…live.  Yes, I did tape it, too, so I could watch all of those parts I missed (which was a lot; after all I do have a three and one-year-old who do need some attention from me in the mornings).

As I was watching the beautiful bride walk down the aisle, tearing up on the elliptical at the gym (I suppose I should have been embarrassed, but I was so caught up in the moment I just didn’t even care), I kept asking myself what was it about the Royal Wedding that made it so enthralling to watch?  Besides the stunning couple (that dress – WOW!  And I try not to covet things, but if I could please have Kate Middleton’s waist, that would be lovely), I think best man Prince Harry best summed it up when he caught a glimpse of the future Queen walking towards her prince (her actual prince – I still cannot get over that) and turned to his brother to say, “wait until you see her.”  And that’s really what it is all about, isn’t it?


Weddings are about anticipation.  The anticipation of seeing your future wife or husband at the altar, the anticipation of celebrating with your friends and family at the reception, the anticipation of the well-earned honeymoon, and the anticipation of the rest of your life—together.  Finally!

The fact that any of us continue to get married (and raise children for that matter) in this crazy world shows how much anticipation (morphing into hope and faith) we have in humankind.

And now for the obvious segue into the fact that I married my own Prince William (I can feel the collective eye-roll from everyone reading this), I must admit that while I had so much anticipation, hope and faith when I walked down the aisle 6+ years ago, I could never have predicted what an incredibly charmed life I have had with Will.  And even if I were the future Queen of England (or current Duchess of Cambridge), I could not be any happier than I am today.  I am a lucky, lucky girl!


You may now call in the schmaltz police.

No comments:

Post a Comment