Sunday, August 11, 2013

Freedom

Frances and George are visiting my parents for a long weekend and by all accounts having a fabulous time.

Playing dress-up

Visiting with a friend's new kittens


A trip to the children's museum, of course!


In talking to my mother on the phone during these days, I know she's exhausted and worried about what to do with them; but I can't tell you how much I appreciate their efforts in allowing Will and me some quiet time to ourselves.  It's been a great summer, but it's been very Frances- and George-oriented.  We really needed to miss them a little (and have them miss us, too!) and with our 9th wedding anniversary coming up next week, this weekend was the perfect way to celebrate.  Thank you, Nana and Pop!

Saturday, in true OCD fashion, we spent most of the day cleaning and doing the chores we can't accomplish in a timely manner with F&G around.

Some much-needed window cleaning


But today we treated ourselves to a hike along Skyline Drive in the Blue Ridge Mountains.





Portions of the hike included the Appalachian Trail, which instantly turned us into seasoned professionals and experts in all-things nature.




And all semblance of maturity and rationality vanished into thin air when we came across this three-foot rattlesnake in the middle of the trail.



Looking at this picture still gives me the heeby-geebies.  Will was about 2 inches from stepping on it when he levitated off the ground, said some choice words, and told me not to go any further down the trail.  No problemo.  In truth, Will would have gladly stepped around the snake and continued down the path.  But I may have threatened bodily harm if he didn't turn around and hike back to the car as soon as possible, and he graciously obliged.  

Because we finished our hike about one mile early, we headed in to Charlottesville for lunch and a less animal-oriented stroll around UVa's campus.

And now we're back home enjoying a child-less Sunday evening at home, the first in ... ever, and I'm trying to will my heartbeat back down to a respectable level before I head to bed and dream about rattlesnakes.

Thank you again to my parents for keeping our incredible loves and a happy Sunday to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment