Monday, August 5, 2013

The zoo

Although I am still in complete denial, it seems August is here and here to stay.  Part of me is thrilled at the prospect of the school schedule resuming next month (and let's be honest, a little me time.  I sort of forgot what that was like).  Part of me always gets a little sad at the thought of summer coming to a close.  June holds such prospects for pure pleasure every single day; and while I logically know that won't happen, it's always sad when those 3 classic summer months have come and gone and you're not sure you squeezed every ounce of potential out of them.

True to form, we trekked it to the Richmond Zoo Friday morning to make sure we made it there at least once this summer.  I'm not a fan of zoos in general (animals in cages make me sad), but the kids love it and I do like the idea of supporting our local zoo because they seem to do an incredible job with the animals that they have.

The Galapagos tortoises were amazing--huge and very interested in the giraffe food we still had in our cups.




The male lion was out ... and growling.  Yikes.



Penguins!  My favorite.



Zebras (and some kind of white elk-like creature that I failed to make a note of--sorry guys).



The real-life Tiki Room




Feeding the giraffes never gets old.  Their tongues are about as long as their necks, which George thinks is absolutely hilarious.






And finally, the camel.



Am I the only one who looks at this and thinks, "Uh oh.  Guess what day it is.  Guess what day. it. is."  Just in case you have no idea what I'm talking about, treat yourself to what is probably my favorite commercial of all time.




Happy, happy Monday, everyone!  And if the weather is as nice where you are as it is here, get outside immediately.  You won't regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment