Monday, March 28, 2011

March Madness

Don’t worry; this isn’t a post about the basketball tournament (although I do have to give a big “WAY TO GO!” to Richmond’s own VCU for their playing thus far – incredible).

Rather, I think March has missed the memo this year on “going out like a lamb.”  We’re on our fifth or so day in a row of below-normal temperatures (30s in the morning; 40s in the afternoon; gray and gloomy all day) and it’s starting to take its toll on my spring mood.  All of the beautiful daffodils Frances, George and I picked have faded and even those beautiful flowers Will sent to me have had to be tossed.

Thankfully, we have a fantastic indoor playground right down the road that we have been using pretty much every day for a week.  The playground is in one wing of the local mall (Chesterfield Town Centre), which means it’s free to use (perfect for my frugal self!).  Frances, George and I usually make our way there around 9 am (sound early?  Not in this house…) and this has turned out to be the ideal time.  The mall opens its doors early so that community members can use it for walking before the stores are officially opened.  They play classical music and big band tunes (I suppose to cater to the typical early-morning walker age group?) and the playground is nearly empty.  Frances and George have the run of the place, I get to hear relaxing music in the background and we all expend some pent-up energy.

George and the frog

The tree at the center of the playground.  Unusually challenging to get up and down the slides; it does a good job of tiring them out.

As huge as George is (HUGE), he is surprisingly athletic and figured out how to climb the tree in record time.

My pretty girl

George enjoys pointing out the stuffed bears in the shop window behind me.  Every.  Single.  Time.

Frances is saying, "No Mommy!  Don't take the picture yet!  George is escaping!"

She is very proud of her splits these days.

Of course, as I am typing this, the sun is shining brightly outside my window and our outdoor thermometer reads 60.  It looks like the perfect after-nap afternoon outside.  Maybe March is slowly catching on after all!

1 comment: