Thursday, October 27, 2011

Yada, yada, yada

A lot of nothing…

1.      After the sun has set and the light outside is fading (which is getting earlier and earlier these days), George almost always runs to our den window to announce that it’s “very, very dark.”  And it never fails to crack me up mostly because he says it with the nuance of a forty-year-old female smoker from New Jersey.  Can you hear it now? “Very, very dark…”

2.     For most of our relationship, Will and I have been about two hours off-sync – he stays awake about two hours after I am off in dreamland and I get up about two hours earlier than he does.  I am convinced this is a part of what keeps us happy and sane.  But one small thing Will has always done that I’m not sure I acknowledge enough is to stop whatever he is doing in the evenings (usually work, but sometimes watching “Friday Night Lights” or “Dexter” – what would he do without Netflix?) and come up to kiss me goodnight.  It’s a small gesture, but it means so much to me because I am not sure I would be as kind if our roles were reversed (so nice of me, huh?).  I am also impressed that his internal clock is set to know the minutes before my eyes are closing on whatever book I am currently reading (which right now is “Bossypants” by Tina Fey.  I couldn’t stay away after hearing so many recommendations).

3.     And speaking of Will, I must first caveat this paragraph by saying I adore my husband and he is (nearly) perfect.  However, recently he has taken up learning Spanish on his own using the Rosetta Stone program.  Sounds harmless, yes?  Except that every time I ask him a question, he answers me in Spanish.  And it’s kind of Driving. Me. Nuts.  I’m sure there is a Spanish translation for that phrase that I will learn tonight along with the universal question, “is that your dog?” or something equally essential.  Excelente.

4.     I’m not sure if it’s also your experience, but I have found that every single one of these compulsory picture moments force the poor subjects to look directly into the sun.  Daddy is clearly the “let’s make the best of it, kids!” guy, Frances’s expression sums up everyone’s thoughts, and George just couldn’t take it any longer:


Does anyone else see the perfect place for a future little brother/sister?  Don’t worry (Will) that’s not an announcement, just more subtle suggestions.

Happy Thursday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I have another backlog of comments! I've wanted to comment on a few items of note here lately but a sick boy has kind of hijacked any "free" time I would have had in the last few days...

    First and foremost, your post on gratitude was so thoughtful and well-written that I wished it was myself who had written it. Is that strange? I'm not always great with the whole gratitude thing but I should really try to get better. I think the main hangup I have is that my crazy mind tends to go to the opposite side of the coin when I realize how much I have to be thankful for. And I have lots. But that also means I have lots to lose, which is a completely terrifying thought, obviously. (To borrow your mother's term, I am a professional awfulizer.) I'm glad that you wrote about it in a much more graceful and adult manner, though, because it's made me really think about the subject in the last few days. So thank you.

    Also, a happy belated birthday to you! You can never go wrong with the little blue box, now can you?

    And finally, I cracked up at the Rosetta Stone thing. I truly thought that Jamison was the only adult on the planet who was interested in (voluntarily!) learning a new language. He's tried to get me on board with him for a few years now but I'm just not really feeling it, in large part because I don't want to spend my free hour in the evening actually learning and/or thinking. Sad, but true.

    Hope you guys have a great weekend! Give our love and greetings (but not our germs)to Frances and George!

    ReplyDelete