Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It doesn't get much more Southern than this


Nothing says “I live in Virginia” like a trip to the State Fair …




…and the pumpkin patch, all in the same weekend.



With a rainy Sunday in the forecast and an all-afternoon birthday party for two of Frances’s school friends scheduled for Saturday, we took advantage of a gorgeous fall Friday evening to make our way to the State Fair.  Frances had been talking about the fair since our trip last year for George’s 2nd birthday and I didn’t have the heart to tell her we couldn’t squeeze it in – so, we did just that and squeezed it into an already packed weekend by staying up much too late on a Friday night.  And it was 100% worth it.

This image never gets old to me

Taking it all in (and please note Frances's outfit.  She insisted on wearing her nicest dress to the fair, of course)

George's favorite ride

Frances's favorite ride

George tagged along for the ride


Doing their part to save Big Bird


The huge obstacle course, surprisingly difficult in an ankle-length smocked dress.

The Dumbo ride

My entire life (Will, Frances and George) in basket #4.  I watched that thing like a hawk for about 15 minutes straight.

Saturday was pumpkin patch day when not one, but two of Frances’s school friends had their birthday parties there (thankfully coordinated).  The party landed right during George’s naptime, so little bro couldn’t join us, but the “big” kids had a blast climbing on haystacks, riding ponies, jumping in the moon bounces, and of course picking out pumpkins.

Happy on a haystack

The birthday cupcakes.  I think I ate at least two.

The best picture I could get of most of the kiddos.  They were a wiggly bunch!

Moon bounce.  Need I say more?

My fearless girl chose the biggest horse to ride.  She definitely didn't get that from me!





And as much energy as Frances has (and as much as she claims to have grown out of naptime), my girl fell sound asleep on the ride home from the patch.  She had officially had enough.  Of course, once she saw that Daddy had set up one of George’s birthday presents in the backyard, she perked right up again:



The kids played outside Saturday afternoon in this tent for a solid two hours while Will and I sat in the shade and talked.  Gasp!  I know, I couldn’t believe it either.  While it often breaks my heart that Frances and George are growing up and roaring past their baby-hood, I have to admit I love, love, love that they will play together, unattached to us, for extended periods of time.  I needed that time with Will.  I needed that beer I drank as we talked (did I mention that we also drank cold beer from actual draft glasses?  Heaven, I tell you).  I needed to put my feet up and remember why we looked for months for the perfect house with the perfect backyard that our someday kids could play in.  Here it was—someday.  Today.

Sunday came and brought its predicted rain and cold, which has held on through today.  And while I may start getting cabin fever soon, I’ve loved hunkering down in the warm-ish house and enjoying our old rainy day hangouts (the indoor playgrounds, Monkey Joes, and of course Target).  Without the usual gorgeous weather pressuring me to spend every waking moment outside, I’ve forgotten how much fun it is to spend time inside.  Even the tent agrees.



Happy Tuesday, everyone!  Stay warm and dry : )

No comments:

Post a Comment