Thursday, February 7, 2013

As it turns out, maybe Punxsutawney Phil was right


Yesterday morning I smelled spring.



It was faint and scarcely detected in a breeze or two, but it was there.  That chilly, wet, earthy smell that you forget each winter only to joyfully remember when it hits you at just the perfect moment--when the shortest month is already feeling like the longest month and even the heartiest of squirrels are in hiding.

That smell of spring is healing.  Somewhere deep in our DNA as a member of the living earth, our bones and our brains are stirred more than we know.  I can fully understand why spring sets forth a happy busyness all around us--the flower buds pop up overnight, the birds dart from limb to limb gathering nesting material (and quite possibly zipping around just for the fun of it.  I know I would.), and neighbors who you haven't seen since October emerge from their dark homes to soak up some much-needed vitamin D as the sound of lawnmowers becomes the symphony of the season.

I am no less susceptible to this spring energy; in fact, I gladly succumb to the call of the outside and that almost desperate need to clean out the dust from the indoors.  Even with just the early hint of warmer weather yesterday, I've started my spring wish list for 2013:

- plant several herbs that I almost always use on a weekly basis (basil, cilantro, mint, thyme, and rosemary; any others that I'm missing?);

- revamp my urns with colorful flowers;

- try new recipes using fresh, local produce, thanks to Dominion Harvest that is set to make its first delivery next week (I am unnaturally giddy about this one);

- start composting with the unused parts of that local produce and other household waste (this might be a pipe dream, but I have always wanted to do this.  *Cough, cough*  Will?  *Ahem*);

- complete the 40 bags in 40 days from last year (so very, very therapeutic for me); 

- tackle as many projects as possible on Will's "Household To-Do" list. He's actually making the list for himself, but I've seen several items I could easily do myself (except for the compost pile, obviously), especially since I am the one staying at home (sheesh!); and

- spend as much time as humanly possible (and that I can legitimately justify) outside with the family.



Spring can't come soon enough (particularly for those in Storm Nemo's way - please be safe this weekend!).


Happy Thursday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment