Monday, July 1, 2013

Taking back my peace

This was where Frances, George and I were earlier today:




The local McDonald's indoor playground, probably one of the most germ-ridden, stinkiest, and loudest places on earth.  After a failed attempt to go to the indoor pool (apparently the sound of distant thunder is cause to evacuate even the pool that is inside.  I am all for safety, but *sheesh!*), I was desperate for the kids to get some runaround time other than within the four walls of our house.  It is never a good sign when you are desperate by 10:30am on a Monday morning.

Today is just one of those days for me.  The kind when you feel like a failure as a parent because you are far too impatient with your kids; the kind when you wish (in that very moment) that you could be a little more go-with-the-flow and you are instead as inflexible as they come; the kind where as soon as you put the kids down for their naps the skies clear and it is sunny and beautiful outside (even you, Mother Nature??).  I'm annoyed, I'm sad, I'm frustrated, and I have let the circumstances of the day get the better of me.

There is a wonderful sentiment I have heard several times in my yoga classes--"Don't let anyone or anything steal your peace."  Isn't that great?  And yet even after a weekend of yoga and an early class this morning, I did just that--I let the morning steal my peace.

And so, I will attempt to take back my peace this afternoon.  I may not be perfectly patient, easy-going, and always rational, but I know I'll be better than I was this morning.  And I won't let my imperfect parenting steal my peace.  Not this time.

Happy Monday, everyone!  Namaste : )

No comments:

Post a Comment