Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My first December post and it isn't even Christmas themed


I can’t believe that we are five days into December and I haven’t written a thing about the holidays.  We are still here I promise, being as merry as ever and enjoying as much as we can of my favorite time of the year.  But as I am slowly finding out, this alleged ‘free-time’ I was supposed to get with both kids in school is actually an urban legend.  Because with school comes parent volunteering, birthday parties, school special days, school holidays, school sick days, field trips, and endless shopping trips to acquire gifts, donations and other accessories needed for these activities.  I love all of it (not as much as I love the actual free time I sometimes get), but it’s left me with little time and little energy to do one of the things I love the most—write.  So, this nap time I am putting off the laundry and Christmas card addressing to write a quick post all about my mature, graceful and lady-like five-year-old daughter:



That’s my girl.

Frances’s dance studio had parent open house last night, which is really just a fancy way of saying us nutty mothers were relieved from slyly staring through the cracks in the doors and could come into the studio with our cameras and our tears, so long as we didn’t bring any younger brothers in tow.



While George happily spent the afternoon with Gram-E, I happily tagged along to see my favorite ballerina in action.  And it was as cute as one would imagine a room full of wiggly, leotard-clad five-year-olds would be.



I am still in awe and appreciation at how happy Frances is to be in my presence.  I’m sure there will come a day when she is embarrassed to see me; but I’m soaking up that proud smile for as long as I can.

    

We weren’t sitting at a great angle, but I still snapped as many pictures as I tastefully could (about one per minute) while Frances and her friends pliéd, arabesqued, and sashayed around the room.  It was all I could do not to correct some of her positions (*turn out that supporting leg, my love*), but I could not have been more proud of her—she listened to every word the teacher said, followed instructions, never talked or giggled (unless appropriate), and seemed to really enjoy moving her little body.  Which, in the end, is all I could ask for.






Next stop?  Her spring dance concert to round out the series of mother/dancer pictures I have from 2011 and 2012.

2011


2012


Sigh.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Gotta say, girlfriend has the natural poise and clean lines of her momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are TOO kind! I wish I had half the grace and beauty of my daughter, but that's how it should be, right? And her feet (and George's feet for that matter) are to die for. They both MISS their AUNT!!

      Delete