Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Unintended downtime


Happy belated MLK,jr and Inauguration Day!  I had intended to write a stirring post about the importance of those two occasions (and the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation – amazing), but all plans were scrapped yesterday when our power went out around 9am and remained out for the better part of the day.  Don’t worry, I’m fairly certain my post would not have been that stirring or interesting to anyone except my mother; and even she’s heard it all by now.

Our house was the only one in the neighborhood to lose power, which was caused by one of the underground wires allowing too much voltage into our fuse box (a frightening thought).  Will was scheduled to work in the office, but kindly stayed home to help deal with the electrician, Virginia Power, and eventually our furnace people (the unit made a loud “BOOM!” sound followed quickly by a flash of light and that quintessential odor of burning plastic).  I risk setting my gender back fifty years by saying this, but I am always comforted when there is a man around to facilitate these kinds of house emergencies.  I have no idea why—Will is the smartest man I know, but has zero electrical skills.  And yet I inevitably find myself happily placing our entire wellbeing in his hands and only sporadically asking him, “What in the world could be going on?”  I assume whatever is his response is 100% correct and I can continue on with my day.

With no power, no internet, and no phone, the kids and I left the house full of grumbling men and headed for the playground and a Chick-Fil-A lunch (because apparently no power also makes me a sucker for fast food and an indoor kids’ area).  With that full morning, Frances and George now think that losing power is the greatest thing since Christmas Day.



At the prospect of facing the after-lunch naptime without writing, cooking, doing laundry, or vacuuming I abandoned all hopes of being productive and sat outside in the sunshine, called my mother on my cell phone, and read my latest issue of Southern Living cover to cover.  As it turns out, I like losing power almost better than Christmas Day, too.

But this is what awaits me during this afternoon’s nap time (with another load in the dryer as we speak):



It’s no Southern Living in the sunshine, but I can’t complain.  Unintended downtime is great for a day, but I think I’d go crazy with any more of it this week.  Not all of us were meant to live the leisurely lifestyle.  



And some of us were just bred that way.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment